Semester : 3rd semester
Branch(es) : Mechanical Engineering and Production Engineering
Authors : Dr.G.K. VIJAYARAGHAVAN & Dr.S.SUNDARAVALLI
Publisher : LAKSHMI Publications
Edition : Seventh Edition May 2015
ISBN : 978-93-831030-7-2
Price : Rs. 400 (Prices are subject to change without prior notice)
Syllabus : Click here to download
Contents : Click here to download
We are pleased to bring out our Sixth revised edition of “Engineering Thermodynamics” for Engineering and Technology studies. This book is written to serve the needs of under graduate students embarking introductory course in Engineering Thermodynamics. This book is designed to meet the requirement of revised syllabus (Regulation 2013) prescribed by the Anna University Chennai, Trichy, Coimbatore & Tirunelveli for 3rd Semester Mechanical and Automobile engineering students of its affiliated colleges.
Important solved problems and past examination Anna University question paper’s solved problems have been added in each unit which will enable the students to score high marks in the University examinations. In addition to this, two mark questions and answers are added at the tail end of each unit.
- Unit 1 deals with basic concepts, classical and statistical approaches, Thermodynamic systems, Zeroth law of thermodynamics, First law of thermodynamics applied to closed & open systems and steady flow process with reference to various engineering applications.
- Unit 2 has wide coverage of second law of Thermodynamics inwhich various topics such as reversibility and irreversibility, Carnot cycle, reversed Carnot cycle, Thermodynamic temperature scale, Clausius inequality, concept of entropy, entropy changes in various thermodynamic processes, principles of increase in entropy and availability are discussed.
- Unit 3 deals with properties of pure substances, phase rule, p-V, p-T, T-V, T-s, h-s diagrams, PVT surfaces, standard Rankine cycle, reheat and regenerative cycle.
- Unit 4 dealt with ideal and real gasses under which various topics such as gas mixtures, Avagadro’s law, Vander waal’s equation of states, compressibility, compressibility chart, T-ds relations, Maxwell relations, Clausius Clapeyron equations and Joule Thomson coefficient are discussed.
- Properties of gas mixture, Gas laws, Gibbs function, Psychrometry and Psychrometric charts, air vapour mixtures, psychrometric processes, adiabatic mixing, and evaporative cooling are elaborately treated in Unit 5.